Maker Lesson Plan 2: Robotics
- Show a part of the Aliens vs. Monsters trailer
- Explain to the students that at the end of our Global Codeathon session today the earth will be attacked by robots.
- Their challenge today is to use the materials they have to create a robot that will either defend the earth from an attack or is an attacking robot.
- Show the students the equipment you have available and what it can do (if you have sensors and motors explain how they work)
- Brainstorm ideas of how they could they make a robot that would either defend or attack the earth.
- What might a defending robot do? Could it warn of an impending attack or signal for help?
- What might an attacking robot do? How might you make it move?
- Brainstorm ideas as a group so students can piggyback off one another's ideas.
- Students can use the programming language associated with their robot. For example, if the school has Lego WeDo’s they would use that software.
- At the end of the session have the attacking robots fight against the defending robots.
- If possible, take a quick video clip and post to Twitter using #globalcodeathon.
- Computer controlled motors and sensors (Lego WeDo, Lego Mindstorm, Hummingbird etc)
- Copper Tape
- Something to cut cardboard with
- Recycled bottles and other materials to make a robot